- Reno Memories – A documentary short produced for Twentieth Century Fox. Bill McGee talks about his life growing up in Montana during the Great Depression and working as a dude wrangler on an exclusive Nevada dude and divorce ranch from 1947 to 1950. Reno Memories was written/produced by Cloverland for Twentieth Century Fox to accompany the 2007 re-release on DVD of Fox’s 1939 film Charlie Chan in Reno. Available in “The Charlie Chan Collection”, Volume 4.
2. Ed Pearce of Reno’s ABC-affiliate KOLO-TV 8 interviews former Nevada divorce ranch wrangler Bill McGee on the site of the former Flying M.E., the legendary dude and divorce ranch in Washoe Valley, Nevada, where Bill worked as the head dude wrangler from 1947 to 1950. [Air date: Nov 8-9, 2004]
3. Sandra McGee talks about the Reno divorce era in an interview at The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, Oklahoma City, OK, June 19, 2009.
4. Bill McGee talks about life on a Nevada divorce ranch in an interview at The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, Oklahoma City, OK, June 19, 2009.
5. Welcome to Reno: America’s Divorce Resort – A documentary short produced for Twentieth Century Fox. Former Nevada divorce ranch wrangler Bill McGee contributes on-camera commentary about the Reno divorce era. Welcome to Reno was written/produced by Cloverland for Twentieth Century Fox to accompany the 2007 re-release on DVD of Fox’s 1939 film Charlie Chan in Reno. Available in “The Charlie Chan Collection”, Volume 4. [This two-minute video clip is from the full-length 15-minute documentary short courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox]
6. A Return to the Flying M.E. – On May 16, 2004, the gates of the former Washoe Valley legendary divorce ranch, the Flying M. E. (now a private residence), were opened to 70 guests who gathered by invitation-only for a special gathering. Nearly every guest had a personal connection to Nevada’s exclusive 1940s and ‘50s dude and divorce ranch, and its legendary proprietor, Emmy Wood. The event was hosted by authors Bill and Sandra McGee to celebrate the release of their new book, The Divorce Seekers: A Photo Memoir of a Nevada Dude Wrangler, and to thank many of the people who contributed their personal stories and never-before-published photographs.
7. RENO and The Romance of Divorce (Fundraising Trailer) – A major documentary that tells the remarkable true story of how a small town in Nevada redefined the American marriage. Writer/director/producer and acclaimed documentary filmmaker John Cork says, “This documentary will not ‘glorify’ divorce, but it will tell the story of how changing our divorce laws created a more equal society. It’s a great story.” (Currently in the fundraising stage. For information, contact Bill or Sandra McGee at email@example.com.)
John Cork and Lisa van Eyssen, Producers, MadeInCloverland
San Francisco Film Society, Fiscal Sponsor
KNPB Reno, PBS Sponsor Station